SKILL AND GRIT MARK MITT-PUSHERS' MIXUPS

Gaffney, Nee Box to Foes as Finals of Championship Boxing Reveal New Scrappy Lamarmen

Plenty of good boxing and grit was displayed in the semi-finals and finals of the University championship boxing tournament held in the Indoor Athletic Building last night.

Most interest of the evening centered on the bout between Captain Jim Gaffney of the football team and Yarding Tudor Gardiner, which the latter won by excellent boxing coupled with the ability to withstand the sledge-hammer slugging of the pigskin handler, Gaffney, pounding the Freshman wildly in the first round, was tamed later when Gardiner helped him lose his enthusiasm by stepping inside smashing books and belaboring the gridman's head.

Vincent A. Ditrinco '40 was termed the best boxer of the evening by Coach Henry Lamar, Ditrinco, winning the 135 pound title, was uncanny in his accuracy, and was also the fastest and most agile man in the ring as he defeated David R. Simboli '40 in the finals. Simboli, a peppy, speedy scrapper, could not cope with Ditrinco's lightening-like smashes.

Coach Lamar was highly enthusiastic about the whole tournament and remarked. "We had the best-looking boys fighting here tonight we've ever had in a University journey." Referee Johnny Brassil, eratwhile arbiter of many of Jack Sharkey's matches said that last night's bouis were the best he had ever seen here, "and they've had Yale here fool"

Robert F. Schlafly H. winning the 165 pound crown was a close second to Ditrinco in honors for the tournament.