Jayvee and Yardling Fives Bow to Superior Eli Teams

Yale Whips Freshmen 46-34 and Trips Junior Varsity 24-23

Unable to cope with the relentless attack of the taller Yale Freshmen or to pierce the effective Eli zone defense, the Yardling basketball team bowed to a superior Blue quintet 46 to 34 on the Indoor Athletic Building floor, Saturday afternoon.

Scoring four field goals and two free throws for 10 points, Chet Legg was the Crimson high-scorer. Captain Charlie Lutz, who has led the team through a season of 12 victories and five defeats, was second with nine tallies. With 13 points to his credit, Tom Erickson, lanky Eli guard, captured scoring honors for the day and was the outstanding man in the Yale defense.

The Crimson got off to an early lead as Luiz sunk two, and Legg dropped another, but Yale slowly crept up and at the end of the half led by a score of 23-12. Despite all attempts to rally, the Yardling hoopsters were unable to regain the lead throughout the game.

Immediately following the Freshman basketball contest, the Crimson Jayvees dropped a heartbreaking game to the Yale Junior Varsity 24-23. With Bill Metzger scoring twice in the last minutes of play, the Blue hoopsters wiped out the Crimson lead and successfully thwarted the Jayvee rally.