NEW APPOINTMENTS IN FACULTY ANNOUNCED

FRIEDRICH MADE PROFESSOR OF GOVERNMENT

Louis Cons, professor of French Literature at Columbia University, one of the leading scholars in the field of French Renaissance literature, has been appointed professor of French Literature, effective next September.

Also, eight members of the faculty, have been promoted to the following positions, effective next September: Carl J. Friedrich, Professor of Government; Clyde K. M. Kluckhohn, assistant professor of Anthropology; Paul D. Bartlett, assistant professor of Chemistry; Edward P. Herring, Assistant professor of Government; Frederick V. Hunt, assistant professor of Physics and Communication Engineering; Elliott Parkins '23, instructor in History and Literature; Roger W. Hickman, instructor in Physics and communication Engineering; Stanley S. Stevens, instructors in Psychology. The appointment of Dr. Friedrich is permanent and the others are for three years.

Arthur Darby Nock, Frothingham Professor of the History of Religion, has been appointed a Senior Fellow of the Society of Fellows, replacing Alfred North Whitehead, professor of Philosophy, who will become emeritus next September.

Benedict Einarson, of Chicago, III., now a Junior Fellow, has been appointed instructor in Greek and Latin and tutor in the Division for three years effective next September.