Three Harvard Hockey Teams Score Five Goals Apiece in Routing Yale Sextets on Garden Ice

Goal Tending by Freedley Is Outstanding as 1940 Wins by 5-2

Remarkably improved since their tussle with the Jayvees Thursday, the Freshman hockey team made their season a success by upsetting a highly touted Yale Freshman sextet 5 to 2 in a rugged game Saturday afternoon at the Garden.

Victory gave the Yardlings a season record of nine wins, one tie, and one defeat, and also stretched Coach Hodder's string of victories over the Eli Freshmen to seven straight. Hodder was jubilant after the game and said he was "Perfectly astounded--they played wonderfully".

Vint Freedley in the Yardling net was easily the most outstanding player on the ice. Throughout the game he made seemingly impossible stops and was unbeatable until well into the third period. At least ten times he came out of the net to smother the shots of Elis who had only him loft to beat. Freedley has had a brilliant record all season and rates a good chance of being Varsity net minder next war.

Captain Warren Winslow, with two goals, Vic Francis with two goals and two assists, and Dave Eaton with two assists featured the offensive play of the yardlings. They exhibited fast skating and pretty passing, and only the consistent play of Bob Atkins in the Yale net kept them from scoring more frequently, Bill Coleman was effective in breaking up many Eli rushes and looked good on many of his own.

The game started off at a fast clip and not until the last half of the third period did the players tire perceptively. Feeling ran high from the start, with many penalties being called on both sides. The rugged body checks of Francis and Roosevelt were mainly responsible for this.

Bob Gorham, left--winger on the second line, gave the Yardlings a lead which they never relinquished at 6:24 in the first period when his low shot from the blue line found the corner of the Blue net. Francis scored his first goal on a pass from Perkins at 13:06. The only score of the second period was made by Winslow on a pretty corner shot, after taking a neat pass from Francis.

The Bulldogs put on a determined drive in the final period, but Francis and Winslow, with Eaton assisting, were able to match their two goals. Seabury scored on a pass from Kite, and Rodd scored the best goal of the afternoon on an unassisted dash. Yale dominated the last ten minutes of play, but continual clearing out and Freedley's goal tending were able to prevent further scoring.