Champagne Naiad Solves Problem of Professionalism in College Football

Eleanor Holm Jarrett Says All Athletes Should Be Paid For Work

All athletes should be paid, according to Eleanor Holm Jarrett, Olympic champagne swimmer and glamour girl of sport, interviewed in her suite at the Ritz-Carlton. "Football players support the college and should be paid for their work," she declared. She saw only "the name amateurism" as a stumbling block to her solution of the problem of professionalism in college football.

Wearing a pink negligee to advantage, the backstroke artist claimed that all training should be left to the individual. "Personally I train hard for two weeks and then take a break." She bemoaned a hangover during the interview, hastened to add that extra rehearsals after her show, not any connection with the miscellaneous cocktail and whiskey glasses around the room, caused her present discomfort.

Eleanor was none too enthusiastic about Boston as a training place for those aquaticly minded. "The only time I got a chance to use the Harvard pool, it would have meant bumping into professors' wives and children all the time." She found the hours for feminine natators at the Y.M.C.A. also "extremely inconvenient."

Expressing herself as "very impressed" by the record of this year's Crimson swimming team, she said she had run into Bob Kiphuth, Eli mentor, at Cleveland, and "had a great time razzing him about the licking he took." She was under Kiphuth's tutelage during the 1928 Olympics, when "I was too young to drink."

The star of the Boston "Water Follies" did not appear to be at all reluctant to resurrect the subject of her dismissal from the 1936 Olympic team. "I had a whole month over there to train for my event, and I never intended to train on the boat." She asserted Olympic athletes ought to be old enough to be allowed to do what they see fit, then added, somewhat paradoxically, that the bar in the athletes' quarters should have been closed.

"First Class" Drinker

What annoyed Eleanor most was the fact that she was judged only by conduct, not by performance. "How much fun do you think I had," she exclaimed, "sitting in the stands and watching a Dutch girl win the 100-meter backstroke in 1:23, when I had been working out regularly in 1:14."

Taking a fling at the conduct of some of the other athletes on the boat, Eleanor claimed she did most of her drinking up; in the first class "among my friends," then, after a slight pause. "I hear I missed some pretty gay parties lower down."