VARSITY, '40 BATTERS FACE OPPONENTS TODAY

Curtiss or Walsh Scheduled to Twirl Against Tufts; Healey on Mound in Yale Freshman Game

Weather permitting, Varsity and Freshman baseball team play postponed games with Tufts and Yale respectively here this afternoon. The Bilodeaumen are favored to defeat the Jumbos at 4, while the Blue Yardlings have a pre-game edge in a 3:15 o'clock contest.

Coach Fred Mitchell has not indicated his final pitching choice. Either Dick Walsh or Slim Curtiss, who were picked as possibilities for the game washed out yesterday, will probably start on the mound.

Neither pitcher has shown much to date, Walsh being batted out of the box in his four starts, and Curtiss, undefeated mainstay of the 1939 Freshmen, not having gone to the hill since the team came North after the vacation trip.

Returing batting eyes are expected to carry the Crimson through. Mitchell is starting his regular lineup with the exception of Dick Grondahl who replaces the injured Art Johns at second base.

Third Try for 1940

For the Freshmen today's attempt is the third try at playing. Originally scheduled for Saturday last and then moved up to Monday, the game was frustrated first by rain and then by the bridge on the New Haven railroad which collapsed and kept the visitors from reaching Cambridge.

Both teams are trying to close their seasons. Tom Healey, who was kept out of the game earlier by Spring football, will pitch for Captain Bob Fulton's Crimson nine against other A1 Stevens or Harley Jackson of the Blue.

Although Healey has shown much stuff in his recent starts, the light sticking Crimson are afforded only an outside chance of trimming their powerful opponents.