EARLIER FRESHMAN REVIEWS

The announcement by the Freshman Union Committee that it will sponsor free reviews for Freshmen before certain of the midyear examinations is a laudable one. Thus the current class is carrying on a policy inaugurated two years ago on a small scale and expanded by last year's Committee. But despite these preliminary efforts there is still much to be done in expanding this useful function of the Committee.

It has been freely claimed by past Committees that in no sense are these free reviews meant to compete with the tutoring schools and that at least should be the truth. As an ideal, a free review of a Freshman course should not cram the facts but, acting on the supposition that the men have done the fundamental work, it should outline the course as a whole in order to teach men where to lay the emphasis. In short, it should be a two-hour session in how to study.

As a how-to-study session they are of real service to the whole college community, and their value can be still further increased by establishing the reviews when they are really needed--before the November hours. If there is a desire for a review before midyears, how much greater is the need before those dreaded hours which in so many cases determine the whole course of a college career.

But to give reviews at this time, they will have to be taken out of the hands of the Union Committee and sponsored by University Hall. At such an early date, the Union Committee will be insufficiently organized to take up the complicated executive work involved. Organization by University Hall is the logical way to solve this. It could do it more easily and more efficiently, and render a service of incomparable value.