Business School's Enrollment Jumps To Equal Highest Mark Yet Recorded

1,002 Students Registered from 46 States--Placement is High, Dean Says

With alumni placement "satisfactorily high" and enrollment equaling the highest mark yet reached in the history of the graduate center, the Business School swings into another year as the training ground for financial wizards to come.

Drawing students from 46 states, one territory and 10 foreign countries, the school has a total registration of 1,002, according to Assistant Dean George H. Lombard '33. It is the largest number since 1932 and 60 more than last year.

May Break Record

But enrollment which will smash all existing records is expected when the midyear session begins in February. Besides a 96 per cent return of students entered for the first half-year there will be an especially large new crop. Lombard said that more than 90 per cent of the men enlisted for the first time will return again next year for further graduate study.

A, significant trend observed by officials of the Schools is the drop in the number of colleges represented. A year ago graduates of 204 colleges were enrolled, while for the 1938-39 session only 199 institutions figured.

Do thoroughly-schooled Harbus men find positions in big or little industries? Lombard admitted that it was hard to draw the line but estimated a 50-50 division. Students going into big business probably won't stay there, either finding now affiliations or starting out for themselves.

The large industries, he said, take a considerable number of men just out of Business School. While the large firms can always find room for young and energetic men, the smaller ones need fresh blood only occasionally.

Every year West Point and Annapolis send special men to take courses at Harvard. This year Army has given scholarships to six first-year and seven second-year students, while the Navy has sent two of each.

The increase in enrollment over last year has been chiefly in the regular first and second categories of graduate work. There is one travelling fellow, 18 advanced men, and three part-time-special economists. Five men have combined their training with courses at the Engineering School.

Eighty-one at the Business School are married, according to the Dean's office. Most of the students live in the dormitories, which are never overcrowded and usually filled with graduates from other departments of the University.

New courses include one on Air Transportation, to be given by Professor George Baker. Two subjects given for the first time this year are correlated with the curriculum at the Littauer School, while two others have been organized for the first time on a formal basis.