UNIVERSITY IS TO FINANCE DEBATING

Langdon P. Marvin '41 Is Appointed to Post of Manager of House Forensics; Conant Approves Plan

Lawrence F. Ebb '39, President of the Debating Council, announced last night that a new position, Director of Inter-House Debating, will be filled by the end of the week. The director is to receive a salary from University funds, an entirely new development in the financing of debating at Harvard.

It was revealed that the director will probably be chosen from the ranks of the seven American History councilors, or may possibly be a young instructor. He will hold a part-time job.

Members of the Inter-House Debating Council will automatically become affiliate members of the University council, and may be promoted to the "varsity" squad (intercollegiate debaters) on the recommendation of the House director. There will also be a forensic Jayvee team.

Conant Interest Indicated

Since 192 men have indicated their interest in inter-House debating, and since the aims of the plan are, according to Ebb, "to foster intellectual activity in the Houses... primarily in the field of the social sciences," the University funds are forthcoming, it is reported, because of President Conant's active interest.

Langdon P. Marvin '41 has been appointed manager of inter-House debating by the Debating Council. He will serve as undergraduate organizer and contact man with House and University authorities. Each House Committee will appoint a representative to confer with Marvin and his assistants, who are to be members of the Council residing in the Houses. In his freshman year, Marvin was a member of the Union Debating Society a participant in the H-Y-P debates and Chairman of the Union Committee.