ALL'S WELLES THAT ENDS WELLS

Into the tangled web of international politics there burst yesterday a new factor of the utmost importance, namely the danger of war with the planet Mars. Completely dwarfing the petty Czechoslovakian quibble, this new terror drove deep into the panic-stricken hearts of Americans, uncovering in its violence a fundamental fact which no thinking person can afford to ignore: namely, America is a part of the universe.

Yes, America is a part of the universe. This fact must be recognized at the outset in any competent analysis of the situation. In a universe governed by rules of intercontinental morality, America will be at peace; in a universe ravaged by ruthless aggressors, no home, no family, no child will be safe. This stand must be fearlessly taken.

Moreover, to make certain that this is clearly understood, a warning note couched in sharp tones must immediately be dispatched to the fuehrer of Mars. An intercontinental conference to be held at some neutral vantage point such as the Milky Way, and to which the heads of the great nations of the world would personally repair, would not only assist in resolving the great intercontinental dilemmas but might also be of considerable benefit to America's internal economy. Indeed, the benefits which might be derived from such a conference are immeasurable: there might emerge from its discussion tables the outline of a new and precedent-shattering League of Continents which America could haughtily refuse to join.

At any rate, something must be done to prevent a recurrence of yesterday's horrible experience. When church services are suspended, men flee from their homes, the end of the world is predicted, and even college boys faint, then something must be done. We must not despair of reaching a constructive, workable solution; the people of Mars want peace.