Professor Holcombe Finds Republican Election Comeback Nothing but a 'Normal Political Phenomenon' at Mid-Term

Discovers No Pointed Repudiation Of New Deal--Hails Hague's Defeat in Jersey

In spite of the fact that the Republicans staged a spectacular comeback in the Congressional elections last Tuesday, there is no immediate prospect of a sweeping victory in 1940, arthur N. Holcombe '06, professor of Government said in an interview yesterday.

Characterizing the loss by the Demoerats of several seats in the House and Senate as "a normal political phenomenon," Holcomber hold that any change contemplated in the traditional alignment of the parties before the vote could still be brought about.

No Rebuke To New Deal

"The magnitude of Republican gains may surprise political observers still under the spell of the Roosevelt victory of 1936," the professor stated, "but should not be interpreted either as an unqualified rebuke to the Roosevelt leadership of the Democratic party or sure augury of greater Republican successes in 1940." Gains by the opposition party at the mid-term Congressional election are a normal political phenomenon.

Preferring to outline national trends rather than interprets specific outcomes in the various states, he continued: "Local issues such as in Massachusetts increased the size of the gains in several localities.

"The rest of the votors who switched from the Democratic to the Republican side may have done so either because disgusted with the recent course of the New Deal or because disappointed with the failure of the administration attempts in the recent primaries to strengthen its grip on the Democratic party."

An illustration of the famous pendulum swing was brought forth when Holcombe stated: "The history of American polities shows that decisive turns in the fortunes of the major parties should be expected at Presidential elections rather than at off-year Congressional elections.

Halls Blow To Hague

Asked what he thought of new Jersey's repudiation of Mayer Hague's candidate when it elected Warren Barbour to the Senate the professor said: "Regardless of party affiliations, thoughtful voters must rejoice at the heavy blow dealt the Hague leadership."

Holcombe was silent on whether the election might force President Roosevelt to seek a third term under a new banner. He did say, however: "The defeat of Governor Lafayette in Wisconsin means that the next move in third party maneuvers is up to Mayer LaGuardis of New York."