Squash Players Lose First Match to Union Boat Club

Warren Williams and Warren Delano Fought Closest Games

In their first encounter of the season, the Varsity squash team yesterday went down to defeat at the hands of the Union Boat Club, losing five out of five matches played.

Present number one man on the team, Kim Canavarro, lost to his opponent Harry K. Cross to the tune of 3 to 1, the individual scores being 17-15, 7-15, 15-7, and 15-9. Number two man Frank Appleton lost to J. Lindsay Ware by a similar margin, the scores being 9-15, 15-7, 15-13, and 15-8.

Warren Williams, ranking as number three man, put up a good fight to lose only by the score of 3 to 2 to Warren Delano. The scores here were 16-18, 16-18, 15-13, 17-16, and 18-16. Jim Rousmaniere, number four man played and lost his match on Monday, the games then being 3 to 1 and the scores, 15-9, 15-12, 15-16, and 15-11. His adversary was Walter S. Hardie.

The final match was lost by Pete Cunningham to Gilbert M. Congdon; Cunningham failed to win any of the games, whose scores were 15-6, 19-4, and 15-11.

The men who filled the first five places in yesterday's match were determined for the most part by the standing results of the tournament which is now being held among Varsity men, and which as yet has not reached its final stages. Sickness kept Captain Blake from action.

The "B" and "C" teams have likewise been roughly selected by this means.