Willy Bermath, Swiss Champ, Fastest Skier in the World

Made Record on the Flying Kilometre At Saint Moritz

The fastest man on skis was competing in the Winter Sports Show at the Boston Garden last night. He is Willy Bermath, versatile young Swiss ski champion. Bermath, who earned this title on the famed Flying Kilometre at St. Mortiz, has been skiing since he was six, and is visiting America for the first time.

Sven Cederstrom, of the Royal Swedish Army Ski Corps offered to interpret after Bermath's English and the interviewer's French because exhausted. Through him it was learned that Bermath's record run was made in 1938 when he reached a speed of 125 kilometres.

This run is a steep 1500 feet of icy snow. Heavy jumping-type skis are worn, weighted for stability and with handles for the crouching skier to grasp. Bermath laughingly denied that he was scared. According to him it was a great thrill, but nothing more.

Although he made one of the best slalom runs of the evening, Bermath was not pleased with the snow in the Garden, which he called icy and too wet in spots. He likes America immensely and would like to get a position as an instructor, otherwise he will return to Switzerland in December