PROOF NEEDED

One of the quickest ways to accomplish something is to strike while the from is hot. No doubt the Committee for Pan-American Scholarships was aware of that fact. And yet the iron appears to be too hot. The College has the conviction that the drive is not quite straightforward, that it is almost a prank. Whether or not his is the case, the subject is far from inopportune, and for that reason it is regrettable that the timing is poor.

It is true that a humanitarian spirit, once aroused, should be taken advantage of. No less important, however, is the fact that since contributions have already been collected once, it might be difficult to make another successful attempt so soon. In other words, the well may be nearly dry. And even if the well is half full, there may be hesitation about contributing for fear that a precedent will be set. Two large-scale appeals in the course of some weeks are rather frightening, though the Committee has wisely postponed its drive until the next semester. The exception of making appeals outside the supposedly all-inclusive Student Council appeal should not become a frequent practice.

Although the principle in itself is admirable because it promotes good feeling in the Western Hemisphere, it is again unfortunate that the second scholarship plan should come so soon after the first. The appeal for the first plan should come so soon after the first. The second appeal is to serve democracy by education. Right here it fails to attract the attention the first one obtained. The first appeal was a concrete expression of abhorrence of a present evil; the second is based only on a quite vague and idealistic scheme of preparing for the future. This unfavorable comparison makes Harvard's latest plan for Scholarships lie unfortunately close to a noble absurdity.

If pursued earnestly, the Committee's plan deserves attention and support as being one important means of strengthening the ties and traditions in which this country believes. But before it can expect a hearty reception, the Committee must give proof that its scheme is not merely visionary and that it has practical value.