Illustration of New Basketball Rules Accompanies McClellan's Explanation

Capacity Crowd Watches Complex Foul Circle Rule Acted by Tufts and B. U.

Tufts and Boston University players demonstrated the new basketball rules last night in the Indoor Athletic Building and followed this up with an exhibition game.

Before a capacity crowd, Al McClellan, former president of the Collegiate Coaches Association, gave an excellent description of the details of the new rules and amply illustrated them by placing and moving players from both colleges.

The first of the rules that McClellan explained concerned an offensive player's duration of stay in the defensive foul circle. Such a player may stay as long as he wants in the outer half of the foul circle, provided that he is not in possession of the ball. If he has the ball, however, he may only hold it for three seconds.

Much dissension arose among coaches present as to the interpretation of the further ruling that if the player passes through or otherwise spends some time (even without the ball) in the rest of the foul circle or in the free-throw lane, the time he spends there is deducted from his alloted three seconds. This assumes, of course, that he does not leave the foul circle or the free-throw lane before getting the ball.

No longer may substitutions be made immediately following a score unless a time-out, of which five are now permitted is charged up to the substituting team.

Between the periods of the exhibition game, ushers collected written questions from the audience. These were all answered over the amplifying system.