PURITAN FIVE UPSETS GOLD COASTER CHAMPS

Eliot Beats Lowell 4-0 to Tie for Lead In Indoor Baseball; Competition in Squash Opens

Winthrop's 12-8 victory over Adams, champion for the last three years, climaxed the opening yesterday of the inter-House basketball season at the Indoor Athletic Building.

The Puritans' brilliant passing attack overcame a stubborn but unorganized Adams defense. The Goldcoasters scored first on a successful foul throw, but Winthrop tied the score and gained a lead which they never lost.

In the other games Dunster overwhelmed Eliot 19-9, Kirkland beat Leverett 7-4, and Lowell defeated Dudley 23-14.

Each team elected its captain for the year before the games yesterday. The captain are: Winthrop, Joe Peden; Adams, Don Gordon; Dunster, David Nussbaum; Eliot, Peter Waring; Kirkland, Henry Wynn; Leverett, Richard Dawes; Lowell, Richard Storey; and Dudley, Fred Elen.

All games before mid-years will be in the first half of the league while the February games will be in the second half. At the end of the contest the winners of each half will meet in a series of three games. The winner will play a 'Yale team on March 11 at New Haven.

Eliot Blanks Lowell

In the indoor baseball competition at Briggs Cage yesterday, Eliot went into a tie for first place by beating a hitherto undefeated Lowell team 4-0. Steve Madey shut out the Bellboys as his mates backed him up with errorless support.

Leo Demeter, Elephant shortstop, was the sparkplug of the Eliot attack; his two timely blows were responsible for the winning tallies. Jeff Levin pitched for Lowell.

In the other game yesterday Dunster beat Winthrop 8-2. Roger Kinnecut pitched for the winners while Ross Downes was on the mound for the Puritans.

Squash Opens

Inter-House squash started Monday at the Linden Street Courts as Adams split two games with Dunster, Eliot split with Leverett, and Lowell won twice from Kirkland.

Games played in two leagues, "A" and "C". In the "A" league Adams boat Dunster 4-1, Lowell beat Kirkland 3-2 and Eliot blanked Leverett 3-0. In 3-2 victories over Adams and Eliot league "C" Dunster and Leverett gain while Lowell turned back Kirkland 4-1.

Matches will be played today at 4:30 o'clock between Adams and Kirkland, Lowell and Leverett, and Eliot and Winthrop