Yale Men Best Gowned, States Dorothy Lord, Famous Stylist

Agassiz Hall Scene of Cabaret To Get Money for Chinese Democracy

By Charles L. Bigelow and Spencer Klaw

Naming Yale as "the best dressed girls' college in the country," but claiming that shoulderstrapless evening dresses were not designed for the modern automobile, Miss Dorothy Lord, internationally famous style expert, last night launched a move to glorify the 1939 Radcliffe girl, in a silkless style show.

Ostensible purpose of the gathering, which showed Radcliffe girls for the first time in high-heeled shoes and daring decolletage, was to put a crimp in the Yellow Peril by supporting the Japanese boycott.

Wears Black Sequins

Miss Lord, gowned in black sequins, stood in the doorway of Agassiz living-room, transformed for the occasion into a Continental cabaret, and introduced bevies of assorted Radcliffe girls modelling everything from lingerie to nubby tweeds.

"In the first place, Radcliffe girls can't walk," the glamorous model murmured, as she sipped a demi-tasse, priced 25 cents, and got down to fundamentals. "Some of them are good models and some of them are not," she added significantly.

The serious note in the affair was supplied by Miss Ethel T. Heller, chairman of the sponsoring committee, who made a stirring plea in behalf of Chinese democracy. Around her neck, Miss Heller wore a picture of herself taken at the age of three. She refused to have her picture taken again and furiously staved off the socially-conscious Harvard boys bent on mobbing the dressing room.

Turns To Harvard Men

After her ten lissome mannequins had done their stuff on what she called "the runway," the dewy-eyed Miss Lord turned her attention to Harvard men.

"They're gentlemen--at times," she commented with a quick glance at her escorts. "But the other night I made one walk all the way home because he showed up in white shoes." Her escorts glanced smugly at their well polished Oxfords and inhaled their carnations.

Reverting to college girls as the whistle blew for the second half, the cosmopolitan clotheshorse said she thought they were 60 percent badly dressed. Asked how she stood on saddle shoes, she parried "On both feet!