FOR MEMORY'S SAKE

When men die, friends and admirers do more than mourn; they call to mind the deeds for which these men will always live. Chester Noyes Greenough was liked and respected within and without the University. As teacher he was known as a masterful lecturer. As Dean and House Master he was known as one who combined administrative ability with the real virtues of devotion and humor. To those who have been and are undergraduates he will perhaps best be remembered for humanizing the relationship between student and University Hall.

Inspiring loyalty in all, he helped to make the Student Council a dignified representative of college opinion. For the first time young sinners went to him trusting instead of fearing, and the Dean's office became less a death cell and more a source of friendly counsel. He clasped the House plan to his heart and brought up Dunster with the care and patience of a successful father. Without him and Professor Coolidge a difficult educational experiment might easily have failed. His many executive contributions to the University, in addition to his fame as a teacher, place Professor Greenough alongside of Eliot, Kittredge, and other Harvard greats.