Skip Stahley, Coach of Three Sports, Trains Future Varsity Gridmen Well

Yardling Tutees Deliver Goods for Harlow After Season As Stahleymen

Three years ago last fall, Freshman football coach J. Neil Stahley gathered his first Yardling squad about to inform them that in the future Eli Yale would take his share of gridiron beatings for a change.

Of course such a suggestion was preposterous, proved so by the shellackings he Blue yearlings handed his charges at the end of two successive seasons. But Skip stuck to his prediction, and it came true this fall when his former pupils jumped on the Elis with both feet at Soldiers Field.

Makes His Material

The Crimson's 13-6 victory was due in no small way to the grounding they received under Skip's direction. Dazzling material doesn't just fall into his hands ready-made, all ready to jump into Varsity uniforms.

Many of the candidates who report to Skip are inexperienced and didn't know the difference between a pigskin and a volley ball. But after a year they seemed to have learned their fundamentals thoroughly and are good material for Dick Harlow the next season.

Coaches Three Sports

Skip is one of the busiest men, athletically, connected with the University. He has coached Varsity lacrosse and Yardling basketball for three years, in addition to the Freshman football. His lacrosse team of 1937 was awarded the Briggs Trophy last Saturday for having the best Eastern record.

Last evening in the Cage, Skip expressed himself as quite pleased with prospects for this spring's lacrossemen, who play their first game on April 5 against Penn. Only three regulars were lost by graduation.

This weekend the Skipper's 1941 basketball outfit tackles a strong Yale Freshman team at New Haven. Although the Blue sports a fine record, having lost only two games, Skip stated that he is afraid Ivy Williamson, Eli coach, is going to be in for a sad evening.

Long Athletic Record

Skip's own athletic record is quite impressive. He won his Varsity letter in football, basketball, and lacrosse for three years at Penn State. In 1930, his last year, he started on the All-East grid team which played in California.

After graduating from college, Skip went to Western Maryland, where he coached Varsity basketball and lacrosse, also assisting Dick Harlow in football. When Dick moved to Cambridge, Skip came with him.