HARVARD CLUBMEN HEAR CONANT TALK

Gardner, Saltonstall, Wheeler to Lead Club Now; Moffat and Toulmin Voted To Governing Board

Boston Harvard Club members turned out 270 strong to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the founding of the club and the 25th birthday of the clubhouse on Commonwealth Avenue at the annual dinner and meeting last night at the clubhouse.

Sitting at the head table were Charles Francis Adams '88, former president of the club; Nathaniel F. Ayer '00, former president; I. Tucker Burr '79, first vice-president of the club; President Conant '13; George Peabody Gardner '10; Frederick Martin '93, president of the Harvard Club of New York; Maurice M. Osborne '07; Leverett Saltonstall '14; Edward A. Taft '04, president of the club; and John H. Williams, dean of the new Littauer School.

New Officers

New officers elected for the club were Gardner, president to succeed Taft, Saltonstall to succeed Gardner as vice-president and Alexander Wheeler '11 to succeed Osborne as secretary. New members of the board of governors are Donald Moffat '16 and John E. Toulmin '25.

Edward A. Taft '04 presided over the speeches which followed. Martin opened the speaking and was followed by Williams who described the purpose and discussed the practicality of the Littauer School. The unusual teaching methods which the new school will use in attempting to teach public administration policy were explained since most of those present had not heard much about this.

Conant Speaks

Conant closed the evening with a few suggestions on how to keep propaganda from having too great an effect on the American public. He also mentioned the importance of bearing in mind the inverse effect of society on science.