EMPLOYEES GIVEN CHANCE TO INSURE AGAINST ILLNESS

George Putnam '09 Heads Non-Profit Enterprise; 108 Hospitals Linked in Organization

Coming one step nearer the working man's Utopia, Harvard Employees will soon be able to receive the benefits of the Associated Hospital Service, it was announced last night. The plan is backed by the University.

The organization, which is strictly non-profit, offers to groups of workers the right to insure against hospital expenses.

The annual fee is $10 for individual membership, and $18 for a "Husband-and-Wife" membership. $24 will protect the employee's spouse and any number of children under the age of 19. New additions to the family will be made members one month after birth.

For those sums members are entitled to three weeks of hospital care in a "semi-private" room, medications and dressings, routine laboratory examinations and tests, use of the delivery room and general nursing service. The use of the operating room and anesthesia to the value of $10 is also included, although the services of surgeons, physicians, and blood donors must be paid for.

No Embarrassing Questions

The extent of the organization is restricted to Massachusetts, there being more than 108 hospitals in the State, 24 in the Boston area, which will honor membership cards. Members who intend to travel, however, may obtain Blue Cross Identification Cards which will admit the bearer "to any general hospital in the world." The association further asserts that "no embarrassing questions will be asked" when the member applies for admission.

The Association was founded last year with George Putnam '09 as President and Dr. N. W. Faxon '01 as Vice President. The late Ingersoil Bowditch '97 served as Treasurer.

Subscriptions which are involuntary, will be deducted from the salaries of those who join by the University.