CRIMSON BLANKED BY BIG RED TEAM AT ITHACA 3 TO 0

Lupien Lines Out With Bases Loaded In Ninth to End Last-Minute Harvard Rally

ITHACA, N. Y., April 19--Harvard's bid for undisputed possesion of the lead in the Eastern Intercollegiate League met disaster at the hands of Cornell here this afternoon as the Ithacans capitalized on their chances to garner a 3-0 win against the pitching of Tom Healey.

Although Harvard outhit Cornell by a five-four margin, it never came near to winning until the last inning, but on the fielding end Cornell was superior, with we boots against three for the New Yorkers.

Lupien's Final Effort Fatal

In the ninth inning Harvard loaded the bases after making two outs. Bob Hoye opened the inning by lifting a long floater to Ken Brown in center field, but he was followed by Paul Doyle who reached first after Gally booted his grounder. Pitcher Tom Healey singled, but Doyle was held up at second base. Bob Gannett was called out on strikes, but Art Johns walked filling the bases. The next man up was Lupien who had singled and tripled on two previous occasions at bat, but in his final effort he poled a brisk line drive into the hands of centerfielder Brown to end the inning.

3rd Hot For Healey

Cornell scored its runs in the third, fifth, and eight innings. In the third walks to the first two men up got Healey in hot water, and he was in deeper when a sacrifice by Johnson moved each man forward a base. Bogart, a speedier runner, replaced Tuthill on third and when Gannett of Cornell bounced a roller at Lupien, Bogart slid in under the throw home. A fly to center field and strike out ended the rally.

In the fifth Johnson again proved a thorn in Healey's side as he opened the stanza with a single and then waltzed around the sacks on a series of ludicrous boners. After getting on first, he stole second, and then tantalized Healey who threw to second to try to catch him off the bag. Johnson proceeded to third on the throw, and when the ball got away from Art Johns at second, Johnson trotted home.

Grondahi Drops Grounder

In the eighth inning Grondahi tumbled Polzer's grounder, and the latter scored the final run when Howe tripled to deep right centre field. In trying to stretch his hit to a four-bagger. Howe was out on the throw home.

Behind steady pitching, the Freshman baseball team pounded out a 13 to 2 victory over the Thayer Academy nine at Soldiers Field yesterday.

Led by Chuck Davis with three safe blows, the Crimson batsmen lined out twelve nicely bunched hits, while Thayer's ten base knocks were well scattered.

Before the game, the Freshmen elected Frederick A. Keyes, the shortstop, as captain. Keyes prepared at Boston Latin. Where he played third base.