Rain Cannot Stop Glee Club Widener Program; Just Drenches Audience

Singers Keep Dry Under Library's Roof; Listeners in Puddles

Rain kept the ball teams inactive yesterday, but it didn't daunt the Glee Club, who warbled through their program on schedule at 7 o'clock last night in the shelter of the Widener roof, while most of the audience shivered and dripped in a driving rain.

Edward L. Barnes '38, who scorned a coat, conducted the group from a watery perch on the steps. He relinquished his post to George W. Phillips '39 for the second half of the program, but Phillips was done out of being a martyr to his music; the rain had stopped.

Local wits, standing in mud puddles at the foot of the steps, had a field day. The rumor spread that Barnes had found a goldfish in each pocket, but was not substantiated.

"What liquid notes," said a wet and enthusiastic Radcliffe girl just before the water-logged piano gave up the ghost.

There was talk of setting up pup tents on the turf, but no action. Several students made tents of their raincoats and tried to entice less fortunate Radcliffe girls to share their shelter. The girls defiantly lit cigarettes to show that they, at least, knew how to handle rain.

The audience joined with enthusiasm in singing Harvard football songs at the conclusion of the program; it reminded them of the Dartmouth game last fall.