The Crimson Moviegoer

Annabella Nosed Out by Irene Dunne as The U. T. Shows Two Treatments Of The Same Plot

If you were a socialist, a beach-comber, or some other sort of undesirable, and fell in love with a wealthy and beautiful young lady, her family would resent it--and she would pretend to. But if you were the only man she had over known, she would end up by marrying you, and paternal benediction would be tardy but inevitable.

The unshakable logic of this plot has recommended it to producers: it appears, not once, but twice, on the local screen. In "Joy of Living" (Joie de Vivre) the girl is Irene Dunne, and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. is resented and married. The carefree abandon of this film, the charm of Miss Dunne, Jerome Kern's music, the able comedy of Jean Dixon, atone for the rest of the cast and make this a very fine farce.

"The Baroness and the Butler" should have been even better, for the cast--Annabella, William Powell, Helen Westley, Henry Stephenson--and sets are considerably better. But banal treatment, poor direction, and a too melodramatic climax, rob the picture of much of its appeal. Shown together, however, the two films make a good double bill, being less similar and probably more entertaining, than this review would indicate.