RECORD THRONG OPENS ROWING FOR NEW YEAR

First Meeting, Attend by 150 Sweep Swingers, Listens to Haines Describe Henley Defeat

Over 150 Varsity and 150-pound crew candidates crowded into the Varsity Club last night to see movies of past races and hear keynote speeches by Tom Bolles, Varsity coach. Bert Haines, 150-pound crew mentor, and Bud Talbot, newly-elected Varsity captain.

Auspiciously inaugurating the new season, which officially begins this afternoon. Bud Talbot introduced Bert Haines as the first speaker. Haines was full of praise for the way the Henley Regatia was run this year. His only regret was the close race his 150-pound oarsmen lost to Kent in England. "Kent was too heavy for us in that strong headwind." he explained ruefully.

Largest Turnout Ever

Before giving the crewmen a brief talk, stressing promptness and keeping in condition second speaker Tom Bolles remarked that the turnout was the largest he had ever seen.

Bolles told his men that fall rowing was the time for individual development. "Now I don't expect you to prepare for a four-mile race." he said "but I hope you'll all show up at Newell Beathouse with clear eyes and a steady step."