Greatly Improved Varsity Sextet Upsets Queens in Garden Clash

Harding Leads in Scoring as Hoddermen Tally Twice in Third Period

Led by the brilliant playing of Captain and first line center Austic Harding, a hard-fighting and much improved Crimson hockey team scored two goals in the last period to defeat a heavily favored Queens six 4 to 2 before a small but amazed crowd at the Boston Garden last night.

Displaying a vastly different brand of hockey from that which gave way to the 11 to 1 massacre at the hands of Toronto just two nights ago, the unpredictable Hoddermen upset all the expectations of the pre-game prophets by thoroughly outplaying the same veteran Canadians that beat Dartmouth last week.

Harding, Patrick, Jameson, and Coleman shared the scoring honors with one tally apiece, while Harding added two assists to his evening's work. Vint Freedley, who played the entire game in the net, turned in his best job of the season, holding the fast-skating visitors at bay with brilliant saves.

Defenseman Bill Coleman registered the first score of the night after he and Perkins had broken up a Queens three man attack into Crimson territory. Perkins took the puck up around the Canadians' defense and passed in to Coleman at center ice., who slammed it home at 13.30.

Less than a minute later, Ned Williamson, Queens, right wing veteran, split the Crimson defense on a solo dash and slipped a hard shot past Freedley into the corner of the net to conclude the scoring in the first period.

Austie Harding put the Hoddermen back in the lead in 4.50 of the second period on one of the prettiest goals that the Varsity has registered this year. Joe Patrick, who had been banished two minutes earlier for a leg check, came out of the penalty box to take a pass from Eaton, bring it down the right boards and pass across to Austic, who blasted a corner shot through the Queens goalie.

The Canadians kept the puck most of the rest of the period and finally made things even again when Neilson, first line center, evaded an attempted body check by Houghton and beat Freedley with two minutes of the canto to go.

The game opened up in the third period, with plenty of hard checking on both sides. Both teams missed good opportunities to score, and nearly 18 minutes had been played before Joe Patrick netted a pass from Austie Harding to put the Crimson back into the lead. Then with half a minute to go. Win Jameson cinched the game when he scored on a pass that Harding had set up in front of the Queens goal. HOCKEY SUMMARY HARVARD  QUEENS Patrick l.w.  r.w. N. Williamson Harding c.  c. Neilson Winslow r.w.  l.w. Poupre Houghton l.d.  r.d. Trumen Jameson r.d.  l.d. J. Neilson Freedley g.  g. Burrows

Harvard spares--Hulse, Ervin, Eaton, Willetts, Carstein, Hunnewell, De-Rahm, Coleman, Cox, Perkins.

Queens spares--W. Williamson, Cowley, Hepburn, Carver, Mable, McLean, J. Neilson, McGill.

Goals--First period, Coleman (Perkins) 13:30, Williamson (unassisted), 14:06. second period, Harding (Patrick, Winlow) 4:50, Neilson (Williamson). third period: Patrick (Harding, Winslow), 17:52, Jameson (Harding), 19:30.

Officials--Foley, Murphy.

Officials--Foley, Murphy.