SALTONSTALL WILL BE CHIEF MARSHAL AT COMMENCEMENT

ELECTION IN JUNE

Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14 was elected last night to be Chief Marshal in the Commencement Day exercises this spring. At the same time the nominating committee of the Alumni Association submitted the names of fifteen candidates for the five vacancies that will occur on the Board of Overseers this June.

The selections will be made from the fifteen this spring by postal ballots sent out to the alumni. Arranged according to classes, the list includes John L. O'Brien '96, Buffalo, former head of War Emergency Division of the U. S. Department of Justice and former President of the Harvard Club of Buffalo; David Cheever '97, Boston, Associate Professor of Surgery at the Harvard Medical School; and Maxwell Savage '99, Worcester, former President of the Harvard Club there.

From More Recent Classes

From later classes come Robert Woods Bliss '00, former Minister to Sweden, and former Ambassador to Argentina, and one President of the Harvard Club of Paris; Henry F. Atherton '05, President of the Allied Chemical and Dye Corporation; Edgar B. Stern '07, former President of the New Orleans Cotton Exchange; Francis Biddle '09, former Chairman of the National Labor Relations Board; Clarence B. Randall '12, former President of the Associated Harvard Clubs, vice-president of the Inland Steel Co.; and William Tudor Gardiner '14, ex-Governor of Maine, and former Overseer.

The other five are Vannevar Bush, President of the Carnegie Institution of Washington, former vice-president and Dean of Engineering at M.I.T.; John P. Higgins '17, Chief Justice of the Superior Court of Massachusetts; Franklin E. Parker, Jr. '18, President of the American Arbitration Association and Director of the New York Legal Aid Society; Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. '24, Senator from Massachusetts; Thomas E. Eliot '28, former General Counsel of the Social Security Board.

Governor Saltonstall in his office as Chief Marshal, selected to the office by the Directors of the Alumni Association, will choose his aids and Marshals who will assist him in the ritual of the day in the Sever Quadrangle. As permanent Secretary of his class, Governor Saltonstall was the first choice for the position which is customarily held by a member of the twenty-fifth anniversary class.