National Scholarship Plan Will Include Two New States in '39

College Gives Scholarships to Students of Any Financial Circumstances

Two more states, Kansas and Nebraska, have been added to the University's National Scholarship area in the first announcement of competitions for next year's awards. This brings the total up to 17 states in the Middle West, South, and Far West where the scholarships, carrying maximum stipends of $1,000, are offered to incoming Freshmen.

The awards are adjusted according to the individual needs of the recipients, and funds are available for 21 men in the class of 1943 in case all should require the maximum amount. There are 34 National Scholars in the class of 1942 and the probability is that increased funds will make two or three more possible for the coming year.

In the five years since the plan was inaugurated there have been 102 National Scholars from the states of California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington and Wisconsin.

Rural Students Increased

The addition of the two predominantly rural states of Kansas and Nebraska is in line with the policy of extending the opportunity for a college education to brilliant students who would not ordinarily be able to have one.

"Through the National Scholarship plan we are continuing to assist a large number of boys who come from the smaller towns and rural sections," Dean Hanford said concerning the announcement, "and a considerable portion of the recipients belong to families who are unable to furnish anything beyond a small sum toward their college education."

Of the 34 National Scholarships awarded to freshmen entering last September, Dean Hanford explained, one-half went to boys from communities of less than 50,000, three from towns between 3,000 and 10,000, and five from towns of less than 3,000. Three of the recipients lived on farms. Half the awards went to boys from families with incomes of less than $3,000.