Committee to Study Secondary School Education Is Organized

H. M. Jones and Spaulding to Be Co-Chairmen of Committee in Charge

Following the suggestion of his annual report for closer study of secondary school problems, President Conant yesterday announced the members of a new committee to "consider and report upon the need of American Secondary schools for teachers prepared to cope with the wide variety of problems now confronting public education."

The Committee is formed jointly of members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and of the Graduate School of Education, and is under the co-chairmanship of Howard Mumford Jones professor of English, and Francis T. Spaulding, professor of Education.

The other members who will report to the President are Dean Gummere, Morris B. Lambie, professor of Government, Arthur M. Schlesinger, professor of History, Robert Ulich, professor of Education and L. C. Zahner.

The resolution of the Administrative Board asking President Conant to appoint this committee follows:

"VOTED that the Administrative Board for the degree of Master of Arts in Teaching request the President to appoint a committee representing the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Faculty of Education to consider and report upon the need of American secondary schools. . . ."