FRANKFURTER EXIT MEANS MUCH LAW FACULTY CHANGE

Powell Takes Over Administrative Law; Hart, Federal Jurisdiction; Landis, Other Two Frankfurter Courses

By A STAFF Reporter

"Gentlemen, here is one more thing you can blame on that man in the White House." With these words Edmund M. Morgan, Royall Professor of Law, and formerly acting Dean of the Law School, addressed one of his new classes at the Law School the other day. Morgan is one of the chief cogs in the complicated Faculty shifting which was necessitated by the appointment of Felix Frankfurter to the Supreme Court.

The many changes, reaching all the way down to the first year class, have just been completed, but for the past couple of weeks Dean Landis has been as busy devising a new offense as a football coach whose star wingback suddenly developed amnesia.

One Law School official spoke more technically, "The changes show the amazing versatility of a professor of law, who is capable of taking over a course in practically any branch of the law, at a moment's notice, and carrying it through for the remainder of the year."

No Swing to Right

The new Supreme Court Justice was teaching four classes, and his place in those courses will be filled by three men. Thomas R. Powell, Langdell Professor of Law, takes over in Administrative Law; Professor Henry M. Hart will go behind the desk in Federal Jurisdiction; and Dean Landis is putting himself in to handle both Public Utilities and Labor Law. In other words, no pronounced swing, to the Right is contemplated.

Dean Landis, in order to handle the two Frankfurter courses, has been forced to give up his first year Contracts classes, and his place there will be filled by Morgan. Morgan is also keeping one section in the first year Judicial Remedies course, and Austin W. Scott, Dane Professor of Law, is taking the one Morgan dropped and one additional section. Professor John A. Maguire relieves Morgan in the second year Evidence course.

In addition to those changes, one other substitution was occasioned by the sudden illness of Professor Edward H. Warren. His place in his two first year Property courses is being filled by Andrew Casner, a visiting lecturer at the Law School this year.