Nancy Wiman, Debutante Sparkle of "Stars in Your Eyes" Relates Story

Producer's Daughter Always Did Like The Stage; Bit Part Cramps Dates

"I've always had a hankering to go on the stage," said Nancy Wiman, debutante bit-player in the current Boston musical hit "Stars in Your Eyes" when interviewed in the dining room of the Ritz Hotel where she is staying during the show's Boston run. Miss Wiman confessed that, after a day's experience across the footlights, she was "simply crazy about the theatre."

The tall, slim, brunette daughter of Dwight Deere Wiman, producer of such Broadway successes as "Babes in Arms," "I Married an Angel," and "On Borrowed Time" is currently drawing down a salary of forty dollars a week for her dramatic efforts.

"Gosh, we have more fun backstage!" Miss Wiman--"Trink" to her intimates--exclaimed, "the kids are so darn swell. And Durante, he's just the sweetest guy. If anybody gets mad at him, it just breaks his heart. Why, he'll do anything to patch up a squabble. So now, whenever we want him to do anything for us, we just pretend to be sore."

"The way I got into the show was when daddy and I came up for the opening he happened to ask me if I'd like a part. It seems they had just fired a girl, and needed somebody to take her place. I've been at loose ends for a couple of months now, so I said 'sure'. And here I am!"

As she deftly speared a slice of fricasseed chicken, Miss Wiman apologized for rushing. "But what can I do? They've called a rehearsal for two, and I've gotta be there. I guess they want to polish a couple of spots."

"The only drawback to the job at present is that I'll miss the Prom she named one of Harvard's rival institutions--and they tell me it's the best party in the East. He, hum, well I guess you can't have everything."

Miss Wiman, who "came out" in Greenwich and then again in New York during the 1937-38 season, said she was personally a bit worried about the possibility of the show becoming a smash hit in New York. "Gosh," she said, "if it runs on into next fall, what am I going to do about the football games?"