A HOUSE BUILT ON A ROCK

Scratch a Harvard man and you find the urge to form an organization. Provide a good issue, and the urge becomes irresistible.

Such an issue, of course, has been furnished in Europe. Never more unanimous was any group of students on any single issue; we are frankly determined to have peace at any price. We refuse to fight another balance of power war. We intend to resist to the utmost any suggestions that American intervention is necessary to "save civilization" or even to "save democracy and freedom". The newly formed American Independence League promises to express this determination in a constructive and vigorous fashion.

But the student who is a raring, fire-breathing Pegasus when the organization is his own, is discouragingly hesitant when it comes to joining other people's parties. The A. I. L. has inertia and even distrust and misunderstanding to combat. Moreover, this attitude is partly due to the League's own negative statements of policy.

Faced with what appeared to be merely another organization--with the usual dining hall solicitation, propaganda, and lapel buttons--students have been asking just what they are expected to join. They want to know whether a policy is to be formulated, and if so, how and what. They feel that the vague program of discussion, publicity, and opposition to "mass fatalism" is negative and incomplete. They are asking for a positive program, with well defined objectives and straight-forward means of reaching them.

There is justice in this demand. The League would have been on surer ground had it endorsed embargo repeal, and frankly based its campaign for members on that ground. It would have commanded more confidence had it promised a definite stand on future issues, such as the extension of unlimited credit to the Allies. Of course, there will be difference of opinion; of course, a definite commitment will alienate portions of the League. But real unanimity is impossible; and attempts to cover disagreement under the mantle of generality amount to self-deception.

It is too early to condemn the League for indecision; one can say only that more positive action would have been preferable. But more courageous days are doubtless in store, and certainly it is not too late. At the risk of losing a little superstructure, a more solid foundation can be laid.