Powerful Purple Eleven Overwhelms Crimson Booters in Overtime Period

Unusual Conditions, Inexperience Combine to Bring Defeat to Crimson in Close Battle

A strong Williams team, a narrow field, a ball lighter than the one to which they are accustomed, and a high wind all added together to bring defeat in an overtime period to the Crimson soccer team Saturday afternoon, 3 to 2, at Williamstown.

The Williams eleven, beaten by Yale the previous Saturday 3 to 1, played a hard charging game which for three quarters demoralized the inexperienced visitors, although the Crimson full backs, Bill Edgar and David Ives, showed up better than had been expected against a fast-rushing Purple forward line.

Mendel Scores Two

Howie Mendel, Harvard captain, provided the big thrill of the game in the final quarter when he kicked two beautiful goals into the Williams not within a minute of each other.

These two goals tied the game up after Jim Fowle and Art Richardson had scored for Williams in the second and third periods, and for the last ten minutes of the regulation time the Crimson forwards, Mendel, Prenny Willetts, Ernie Staber, and Gordon Halstead, found themselves and peppered the Williams defense with kicks which time after time just failed to score the winning goal.

Williams Rallies

In the first half of the overtime the Harvard booters had the wind behind them, but a Williams rally prevented them from scoring. The final goal was made in nine minutes of the first extra period.

Coach Jack Carr was not overly depressed by the team's loss, although it was a blow to lose the first game. The team showed its inexperience, but it also showed definite potentialities.

Wednesday the Varsity plays Tufts and Saturday M. I. T. in two League games.

Yardlings Lose

The Freshman booters journeyed to Exeter only to be turned back 2 to 1 by the Exonians. Cal Calhoun scored the Crimson goal, while Abbott and Palmer scored for the home team.

Merry Herskovits starred for the Yardlings and Jim Gleason played a dependable game at goal, knocking down a number of would-be goal kicks.