Federal Workers Join New Course On City Housing

20 Government Employees Sent To Study Slum Clearance Under Ford

Twenty employees of the Federal Housing Administration have enrolled in the new course on city housing by James D. Ford '04, associate professor in Sociology, at the recommendation of the government.

Though the course, which deals with Boston and its suburban slums, is merely an academic one in the eyes of the University, the government has taken an interest in it as a means to place its employees under the tutelage of one of the country's experts in alum districts and housing problems.

Cary Praises Course

William H. Cary '21, former assistant dean of the College, who is now with the Federal Housing Commission in Washington, as an expert on education, is working in collaboration with Professor Ford on the course and has praised it highly both as a sociological study and as a preparation for work with the Federal Housing Administration.

The course has approximately seventy students enrolled in it at the present time, most of whom are taking a degree in housing and in slum problems in general. The study will include trips to the slum districts of Boston in order that the students will be able to see the congested areas and the problems that must be overcome.