HARRIERS RUN IN TRIANGULAR MEET

Hanover Contingent Paced by Wonson And Trudeau; Burwell, Tuttle Head Up Crimson Forces

By Spencer Kiaw

When Jaakko Mikkola's harriers leave Dillon Field House at 3:30 o'clock this afternoon to tramp across the Allston flats to the start of the tortuous cross country course, they will have one of the year's toughest meets ahead of them.

For Dartmouth and New Hampshire are coming to Cambridge for the annual triangular hill-and-dale contest. And although New Hampshire is an unknown quantity and not giving the Crimson over-much worry, Dartmouth is potent medicine.

Paced by Iron-man Hall Wonson, the Green's ace distance runner, the Dartmouth contingent includes Lee Trudean, who took seventh place in last year's race; Williams, a sophomore who took first honors in the Freshman event last fall; Bull, who trailed Williams by a scant second; and Foss and Gibbons.

Harvard's lineup is strong too. As Jaakko describes this year's team, "It's a good one, but it's got to be better balanced; the fellows are coming in too far apart."

But balance or no balance, the team has neatly disposed of B. U. and Holy Cross; and against the latter last Friday, Langy Burwell, Penn Tuttle, Gene Clark and Dick Wing captured second, third, fourth and fifth places.

Burwell Number One

On the basis of past performances Burwell, the smooth-running, tireless Junior, is number one man. But Tuttle and Clark are not far behind; Tuttle, kept out of track last year by illness, has been coming ahead fast and may well push Burwell today.

Behind them rank Dick Wing, who ran only a little last year: Joe McLoughlin, Bob Jay (last year's Yardling captain); Jim Lightbody (1940 track chief and a newcomer to cross country); John Parker; and Dave Simboli, who has virtually recovered from an early season injury.

Bob Nichols, McElligott, and CyMarden are possible alternatives.

A Freshman team that beat Holy Cross last week will tackle the New Hampshire and Dartmouth cubs over the short course this afternoon at 3 o'clock.