Booters Score in Last Period; Gain 3-2 Win Over Indians

Page Accounts for Two Goals as Captain Mendel Tallies Winning Shot

By John C. Robbins

Scoring the winning goal with only four minutes to go, the Crimson soccer team edged Dartmouth's booters yesterday afternoon by a 3 to 2 count.

Captain Howie Mondel, playing with both knees tightly bandaged, scored the decisive marker from far out in the field with a beautiful shot which hit the edge of the net and bounced in.

Page Scores Twice

The winning shot came only after Art Page, playing a sensational game at right outside, had given Harvard a 2 to 0 lead in the first half, and after Dartmouth had come back to tie up the score with goals in the middle of the third and the opening minutes of the fourth periods.

The Crimson looked like a real ball club in the first half, playing rings around the Indians and barely missing several more goals. Goalie Jack Penson scarcely had a workout until the beginning of the third period, when the Dartmouth forwards and the rain simultaneously began to pelt him.

The slipperiness of the wet ball gave the Green booters an opportunity to which they added a new spirit gained during the half. Harvard's eleven relapsed into their slipshod habits of the past few weeks, bunching, muffing, and slowing down, and the result was that Doano, Indian left inside, and Eckhardt, high scoring center, hit pay dirt and tied up the score.

From the time of Eckhardt's goal, his ninth of the year, until the end of the game, the tide swung back the other way, and the ball spent most of the time in Dartmouth territory.

Yardlings Tie

The Freshmen rallied to score three goals in the final period and tie the Indian Freshmen, 3 to 3, in an overtime game. Jack Clark, Jack Calhoun, and "Herky" Herskovits scored the tying goals for Harvard after Huse, Earle, and Infante had piled up a three goal lead for the Green in the first three periods.

Jack Calhoun was elected captain of the Yardlings at a meeting before the game, and then proceeded to play an outstanding game in the forward line. Bill Mayger, veteran player from Exeter, also starred.