Shapley and Thimann Speak Tonight At Meeting of Scientific Association

Will Discuss Achievements and Aims of Local Branch of Organization

Celebrating its first anniversary, the American Association of Scientific Workers, a society for the promotion of understanding of the relationship between sciences and social problems, will hold an open meeting at 8 o'clock this evening in Hunt Hall.

Speakers will include Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and Director of the University Observatory, and Kenneth V. Thimann, assistant professor of Plant Physiology, and chairman of the local branch of the Association.

Through the past year the Cambridge division has spent its time in studying such problems as the status of science in Nazi Germany; the boycotting of German-manufactured goods; the relations of scientists to the press and radio; socialized medicine; and consumers' organizations, especially the Consumers' Union.

Professor Thimann will discuss the results of the Society's research and on its aims in his talk tonight, while Professor Shapley will speak on the subject of "Science and the Community."

Tech, Harvard in Society

Membership in the Cambridge-Boston chapter of the Association, which is mostly composed of University and M.I.T. faculty members, numbers about 140.