MIND YOUR MANNERS

Harvard and Yale are in hearty agreement that intellectual freedom is, or should be, the greatest blessing of a university. To hear these ancient foes singing a harmonious duct of such social significance is comforting today when their football rivalry is waxing warm. But there is more than one fly in the ointment. John and the Bulldog may nod solemnly together over such a book as mill's "On Liberty," but we were afraid they would get into the very devil of a fight over Emily Post's "Etiquette." It seems that as regards a man named Browder, John and the Bulldog just can't agree on what's good taste.

Mr. Jerome Greene, obviously a gentleman of the old school, can't quite stomach the Communist leader, and so Harvard just has to get along without him. President Seymour, on the other hand, welcomes him with open arms, passport violator though he is. It is clear that this split touches the very fundamentals of what is, and is not, done. Let Emily referee the fight, and plenty of people who have nothing better to do will throng the sidelines to cheer one contestant or the other.

But Harvard and Yale men will know better. They will understand that these two great liberal universities are really sisters under the skin. Squabbles like the Browder affair may come a dime a dozen, but they will never really loosen John's and the Bulldog's tenacious grip upon true intellectual freedom. Etiquette may change, but Harvard and Yale will always mind their manners when free speech is vitally concerned.