Condemnation of Soviet Union Result of Stormy HSU Meeting As Gottlieb Is Made President

Fleischman Elected Secretary, As Darr, Kinoy, Gansett, Nassau Also Gain Posts

In its stormiest and largest meeting since its founding, the Harvard Student Union last night passed a resolution condemning "Russian aggression against Finland," and elected officers for the coming year.

The final resolution also included a condemnation of attempts to drag the United States into war, implemented by a second proposal specifying allegedly Unneutral acts. The anti-aggression stand was put forth by Jack M. Perlman '40 along with an appeal for neutrality. The added clause on unneutral acts was sponsored by Paul Olum '40, vice-president of the Union.

Soviet Defense Defeated

With a minority vote of 23 out of 87 voting the Leftists were defeated by a wide margin in their proposal to place the Union on record as defending Soviet action "as a necessary measure for self-defense." Wild applause and some heckling characterized the meeting and grew with the introduction and discussion of the amendments following the officership elections.

The views of the three Presidential candidates closely followed the three resolutions in nature. Alan Gottlieb '41 came out against Russian aggression, and was elected President. David Fleischman '41 supported the Soviet, and G. Robert Stange '41 declared that the Union should refrain from expressing sentiment on either side.

7 On Executive Board

The vote was 68 for Gottlieb, 34 for Fleischman, and 24 for Stange. In the next two ballots Stange was elected vice-president and Fleischman secretary. John W. Darr '41 was then elected treasurer. Chosen members-at-large were Arthur Kinoy '41, Michael R. Gannett '41, and Robert G. Nassan '42.

As a further indication of the internal split in the organization, four of the elected members of the Executive Board for next year are Communist sympathizers, while the other three are non-Marxists.

Purge Shouted Down

In the question period of presidential candidates preceding the election, all three aspirants declared against a purge of Y.C.L. members from the H. S. U. to nearly unanimous acclamation.

It was after 10 o'clock when the instructions of delegates in regard to policy came up. Perlman read and argued for the following resolution: "Resolved. That the Harvard Student Union condemns the Russian aggression against Finland, and at the same time condemns those who would use this incident in an attempt to drag us into war."

Olum, vice-president of the Union, then offered the following compromise resolution, which was later passed in addition to Periman's: "Since the actions of the Roosevelt administration and the American newspapers with the regard to the Russian-Finnish situation may serve to involve the United States in the war on the side of England and France by breaking down the intense desire of the American people for peace.

"Therefore the Harvard Student Union protests the Administration's request for a moral embargo imposed against the Soviet Union, and opposes the proposed loan to Finland of $70,000,000 to the Finnish government and the proposed moratorium on Finnish war debts.

"The Harvard Student Union opposes all attempts to break off diplomatic relations with the U.S.S.R. The Harvard Student Union condemns the press campaign to whip up war hysteria.