Prominent Group To Start Guardian Today

Czech Consul Hane, Rea, Gallup Assistant, Added to Session On Propaganda

When the third annual Guardian Conference meets in the Winthrop House Senior Common Room this morning to hear President Conant open the discussion on propaganda, it will be the beginning of what promises to be the best of the series of meetings with a star-studded collection of authors, professors, and journalists participating.

Two new names were added to the list yesterday when it was announced that the Czech Consul, Mr. Hane, and Samuel Rea, who works under Gallup in the American Institute of Public Opinion and has recently returned from the continent, would participate in the section dealing with propaganda and the war in Europe.

On the topic of technique analysis the Conference will hear from Stuart Chase and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lynd, authors of wide reputation. In his "Tyranny of Words" Chase makes a thorough analysis of semantics and the meaning of economic jargon, while in their Middle town series the Lynds present a cultural cross-section of a typical American town.

Highlighting the afternoon session is Heinrich Bruening, former Chancellor of Germany and now a lecturer in Government. Of all speakers on the war situation Bruening has been the most sought after this fall because of his particular capability of prognosticating the economic set-up within Germany as a result of his experience, particularly with agricultural economy, as chancellor and before.

Luminaries discussing Propaganda and American Democracy are headed by David I. Walsh, Senator from Massachusetts since 1919.