Red Cross, Tuberculosis Seals, Salvation Army Figure in Charity Drive

Council Plans Large Donation to Red Cross this Year

With Christmas less than three weeks away, three prominent charitable organizations are conducting their annual drives at Harvard. These groups are the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and the Cambridge Tuberculosis and Health Association.

All solicitation of undergraduates is handled by the Student Council, thus protecting the students from being constantly accosted by solicitors. Although it has not made out its budget of this year, the Council plans to donate a large sum to the Red Cross, whose needs this year are most urgent, with two wars and the resulting refugee problems present in Europe. In Cambridge about 7,000 people contributed, helping to raise part of the $400,000 planned for Polish relief. All this is collected in addition to a sizeable sum which is reserved for local relief.

During the past few days dormitory residents have received from the Cambridge Tuberculosis and Health Association, new conducting its thirty-third annual Christmas seal sale, sheets of the well-known stamps through the mails. Since "tuberculosis is no longer the white man's plague," part of the proceeds will go towards education of the public about other fatal diseases such as cancer and syphilis.