OATH BILL ADVOCATES GAIN BY REPEAL VOTE

Win Ballot in Committee on Education To Strengthen Position in Repeal Movement

Opponents of the Teachers' Oath law rallied their forces yesterday in preparation for an expected struggle on the floor of the State House of Representatives, when the repeal bill comes up for a first reading this afternoon.

Having hurdled its first barrier yesterday in the Committee on Education by a vote of 8 to 7, the bill meets its first crucial test in what Capitol observers feel will be the deciding test of strength between the opposing non-partisan factions.

Spurred on by Governor Saltonstall's promise to sign the repealer if it reaches his desk, proponents of the bill to kill the law were confident that the measure would pass safely to its second reading. While the voting in past years has cut across party lines, it is believed that Republican strength in the House will be sufficient to send the bill to the Senate.

In the Joint Committee on Education which reported yesterday its decision for repeal a tie, 7-7 vote was broken by Chairman Laurence Curtis of Boston.