RETIREMENT ANNOUNCED OF LIBRARIAN BRIGGS

College Library Loses Associate of Long Standing-Was With Widener for 42 Years

The retirement of Walter B. Briggs, associate librarian of the Harvard College Library, after 42 years of service to the University, effective March 1, was announced by the University today.

Mr. Briggs has been connected with the College Library since 1886, with the exception of the years 1904 to 1909 when he was at the Brooklyn Library, and 1909 to 1915 when he was at Trinity College.

Superintendent of the reading room at Widener Library from 1896 to 1904, and assistant librarian in charge of reference and circulation from 1915 to 1936, Mr. Briggs became associate librarian in 1936. In the same year with the resignation of Alfred C. Potter '89 as librarian, he was appointed acting librarian for 1936 and 1937.

Because of Mr. Briggs' long connection with the College Library he has become widely acquainted with students, alumni, faculty, and many visiting scholars from all parts of the world.

During Mr. Briggs' years at Harvard the library has grown from 400,000 volumes to the largest university library in the world.