Elephant Mermen, To Meet Eli Champs Here on Eleventh

Quality of Inter-House Teams Said to Have Improved This Year

Eliot House, the inter-House swimming champions, will culminate an active season by meeting the Yale intramural champs here Saturday, March 11. The Elephants, so far undefeated, won the inter-House cup when they downed their main rival, Kirkland, Thursday, February 9.

"We Elephants naturally take to the water", said George W. Dana '40, assistant athletic manager of Eliot House. "We have won the inter-House cup for several years in the past and are intent on keeping it."

For the past several years Eliot and Kirkland have been bitter rivals for the cup. The Deacons won the championship after a close fight last winter; this year the Elephants turned the tables on the Kirkland team.

Frank Vaughan, inter-House swimming coach, said that this year he noticed stiffer competition for the house teams. Several of the Houses sport some very good mermen. The Eliot team has several Jayvees who eventually hope to make the Varsity. At the meet between the Elephants and the Deacons, Colles C. Stowell '39 paced a new inter-House backstroke record.