Sophomore Will Search for Old Chinese Scrolls; Took Extra Courses Last Year; Excused by Dean

Grandson of Teddy Roosevelt Will Leave for Yunnan Province, China, Alone

Quentin Roosevelt '41 of Oyster Hay, Long Island and Eliot House, is leaving today for New York, which he plans to leave on Wednesday, March 1, for Likiang, China, in search of rare Nashi funeral scrolls.

Roosevelt, grandson of Theodore Roosevelt, is backed by the Boston Museura of Fine Arts which is aiding him financially in the hope of getting one of the unique manuscripts. "To my knowledge" he said when interviewed yesterday, "there are no other scrolls like these in America."

When asked about the dangers of the expedition, he replied, "I have been told that There are many bandits in that region but I doubt that they will bother me particularly. The thing that most concerns me is the Japanese, who may bomb the main railway line. In that case I will proceed by car, mule-pack, or on foot. I am travelling along because in the first place it will be easier to get through; then, too, it is less expensive.

"I am looking forward to the trip immensely. As I go along the weather will be first hot, then cold. It certainly will be a relief to get away from the New England climate."

Roosevelt hopes to get a specimen of the Golden Monkey for the Peabody Museum. He has been able to get permission from the dean's office to take the trip since he has previously taken extra courses. Next year he plans to take a research course for which he can use any material gathered in China.