Yearly Swimming Carnival to Present Smith Beauties' Water Ballet Tonight

H.A.A. Imports Troupe Especially For Meet--Cutler, Powers, Hewitt in Race

Twenty-four Smith girls will invade Cambridge this afternoon to take part in the Annual Swimming Carnival, which takes place in the Indoor Athletic Building at 8:15 o'clock tonight.

Late this afternoon the Northampton troupe, regarded by H. A. A. managers as the Carnival's major attraction, is expected to rehearse its under-water formations in the pool, which will be specially closed for their use. "The girls will add color and variety to the show," explained James H. Legendre '40, manager of the Carnival.

Crimson swimmers participating in the strictly masculine part of the program are Eric Cutler, Frank Powers, and Ed Hewitt, who will enter the New England A. A. A. U. 500-yard free-style championship race. Bob White and Jim Curwen, who had hoped to swim, may have to scratch because of colds. The mermen will find stiff competition from Bill Carson of the Providence Boys' Club, who defeated Cutler in the New England Championship 220-yard free-style race last month.

In the 150-yard backstroke event, sponsored by Arthur W. Stevens '97, which will be featured by a free-style start instead of the usual in-the-water start, Art Bosworth, Craig Moore, Collie Stowell, Dick Harris, and Win Johnson will be the Harvard contestants.

Jack Waldron, top breaststroker, will be the sole Crimson entry in the Massachusetts State Senior 220-yard breast stroke race. Rusty Greenhood and George Dana will compete in the New England A. A. A. U. Senior Championship high-board diving event.

Powers, Bosworth, Lonnie Stowell, and Curwen, if he is able to participate, will compose The Crimson team in the National A. A. U. Championship 400-yard free-style relay.