Refugee Scholars to Be Picked This Week; Some Coming Soon

Drive for Funds Now Complete; Money Expected to Last for Two Years

No refugee students will start work here today as the second semester of classes begins, but the work of selecting the students who will hold the scholarships is in its final stage, according to the Harvard Committee to Aid German Student Refugees, and it is expected that the two or three successful applicants will be in residence here by next week.

The number has been limited to this figure because most of the refugees are still in Europe and it was felt that the money was raised specifically for German exiles. The two or three who will work here this half-year will be symbols of next year's full program, Robert E. Lane, '39 president of the Committee, said last night.

A selective committee has been examining refugee students in New York for some time. Final nominations will be made some time this week by a committee which is headed by Robert Ulich, professor of Education.

Money Drive Ended

Approximately $13,300 has been raised for the support of the refugees, Lane said. Of this amount $11,000 came from the University and $2,300 from alumni in New York, Chicago, Cincinnati and Virginia, to 10,000 of whom the Committee sent written appeals.

"The drive for money is completed," he said, excepting unpaid pledges, and added that he thought the money would be sufficient to keep the refugees for a second year. Economy in the funds will be effected by boarding the students with local residents who have offered to keep them free as their contribution to the Committee.

The criteria being used to judge the applicants are academic quality, personality, need, and danger, Ulich says. The last mentioned is important because of the doubtful legal status of some refugee's admission to this country, and the fact that they would be safer if they could back up immigration visas with a definite prospect of two years' support.

The idea back of the Harvard refugee plan is being spread to other colleges and universities by an Intercollegiate Committee to Aid German Student Refugees, of which Lane is the head. He is going to New York this week to work at the committee's New York office.