Einstein Wires Approval of Lincoln's Birthday Meeting

Scientists Will Meet to Protect Freedom Of Speech

Prof. Albert Einstein, No. 1 victim of the Aryanizing of German science, from his retreat at Princeton today wired encouragement to the Cambridge cientists and educators who are commemorating Lincoln's birthday next Sunday evening with a meeting at Sanders Theatre in behalf of democracy and intellectual freedom.

The exiled German physicist, of the "theoretical and dogmatic" school now under current condemnation by the scientific precinct captains of the Third Reich, telegraphed to the local committee his hope of "lasting success," and added:

"Personal conviction is not enough . . . only keen and constant vigilance, determination and readiness for sacrifice of each and all of us can render us secure against such a fate as that which we see with out eyes spreading over Europe," Einstein wired.

Dr. Mildred H. McAfee, president of Wellesley, and Professor Zechariah Chafee, Jr., of the Law School, will head the list of speakers at the meeting Sunday.

A score of other meetings will be held throughout the nation, Secretary of Agriculture Henry A. Wallace addressing the key meeting at New York.

Dr. W. A. Nielson, president of Smith College, also sent the Cambridge committee a wire of endorsement, urging them that there is no more important task before the United States today "than that of creating here and now a fresh realization of the fundamental democratic idea and of the supreme necessity of preserving our intellectual freedom."

Dr. Nielson's wire concluded:

"We have so long taken these things for granted that we run the risk of forgetting that vigilance is required to maintain them. I believe your meeting is part of a movement of immense importance and I wish it all success."