Crimsonians Jam In Jazz Concert

350 Hear Stan Brown's Orchestra Beat It Out in Sanders

Starting with a short lecture on swing by George Frazier, noted swing critic, Stan Brown's Crimsonians demonstrated the rise and fall of jazz last night in Sanders Theatre to an enthusiastic audience of 350 students and two Music 1 assistants.

In spite of bad acoustics, the Crimsonians did creditably with their first five numbers which were imitations of old time jazz bands and which illustrated the change of jazz through the twentieth century. These five places were undoubtedly the best of the evening, although most of the solos were in too modern a vein. The band showed its amateurishness in its arrangements and presentation when it warmed up and plunged into its original numbers.

John Bragg '41 almost succeeded in copying Frankie Trambauer's alto sax solo on "singing the Blues" but lost himself half way through. Jack Harlow fared better with Bix's trumpet solo, only to mar an otherwise good performance with a cloudy tone, not at all representative of Beiderbecks.

Then to finish off the program, Dan Fleckinger '41, Dave Bennison 1L, and Bill Whitcraft '39 played two Goodman trio numbers with Fleckinger turning in a passable facsimile of Ted Lewis, and then the Crimsonians smoothly swung Goodman's "One O'clock Jump" with Casa Loma's "White Heat" as an encore.