Professor Nock Lauds Choice Of Cardinal Pacelli as Pope

Most Fitted to Undertake Papal Duties in Present Tangle Of World Affairs

"In its long history the Catholic Church has made uncommonly few mistakes, and I believe the choice of Cardinal Pacelli as Pope Plus's successor is proof of its careful judgment," stated Arthur D. Nock, Frothingham Professor of the History of Religion, in an interview late yesterday.

On the election itself, Professor Nock said, "It is certain that Cardinal Pacelli was a unanimous choice. Only three ballots were taken to secure his election, which is extraordinarily quick.

Choice of Italian Statesman Wise

"The selection of Pacelli seems to be a very wise one although tradition has been case aside in the choosing of a secretary of state to succeed as Pope. In the first place, the election of an Italian has certain advantages, since it makes for no international animosity as would the selection of a foreigner--especially with conditions so near the boiling point.

"Of all the men in the College of Cardinals, I believe he is the most fitted for the role. In the capacity of secretary of state he has acquired Punic experience in dealing with problems of the papacy, which will prove invaluable during the present world crisis.

"By and large his office is the most exacting in the world; there are so many important decisions that must be made by the Pope personally and so many others that must receive his personal O.K. Don't forget that, unlike other rulers, he can not take a vacation but is chained to his job all the time."

Professor Nock concluded, "I've never had the good fortune to meet the new Pope. However, I did see him once from the window of a train. He impressed me as one of the finest looking men I have ever seen; his face is like chiseled bronze. In the execution of his papal duties, one of his greatest aids will be his find physical condition."